Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Who Needs a Pantry Door Anyway?

Well, I've finally decided to join the blogging world. I know a lot of you love to hear about all the crazy things that happen in our family. So, this is a convenient way for me to share our life with you! There's only so much you want to tell the world in a facebook status. And besides, those status updates are too restrictive for a girl with so much to say!

While we laugh a lot in our house, there are plenty of tears to go around. Most of the time we are so out of control with laughter that we cry! Tonight, I couldn't decide whether to laugh or to cry. As we finished up choir practice, I called to let the kids know we were on our way. Well...what do you do when one of your children says, "Mommy, something bad happened, but we don't want to tell you until you get here?" My first inclination was to threaten her into telling me, but I decided that maybe we should wait until we got home. After just one more phone call to assure that they were all okay, David and I talked through some of the things that we thought could have happened. Did they break a window, the TV, a vase, each other...???? Needless to say, we were a little concerned!

We walked in to find the girls sitting in the living room, looking towards the kitchen. It didn't take long to see a hole in the pantry door. Yes, a hole. A "foot-sized" hole. It seems that the girls had gotten into a spat, involving name-calling and a laying on of hands! After a couple of deep breaths, we expressed our frustration, not only with the brand new peep-hole (If only I were a Smurf!), but with the way they treat one another. We didn't really have to say much though, as they (with their puffy, red eyes) told us that they had talked it out and realized that they were both guilty of being hurtful to one another.

Hmmmm...was this a tactic just to throw us off or had they honestly realized how hurtful they had been? After some questioning, we determined that they were really sorry for their actions. Now, that doesn't replace the door; however, the door stood as a great example of the effects of hurtful words. How many times have I raised my voice in frustration or been short with them when they needed my grace and mercy? How many times have my hurtful comments left others wounded? This was just one of those times where there wasn't much for me to say. They knew we were disappointed. They were disappointed in themselves. They are also upstairs at this current moment about to wake their father from sleep! It seems they've now decided to talk all night. Oh, the joys of sisterhood!

So, if you come for a visit anytime soon and notice that the pantry door is missing, you'll know the story! It's just another memory to tuck away on this journey through our crazy, beautiful life!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world!!! I'm excited to keep up with your family through your blog! Sounds like you had an intresting night...whoever kicked the whole in the door needs to play soccer, she must have some strong kick! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome aboard! it's gonna be fun getting to know a new teacher in a whole different way! sounds like your summer is off with a bang!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. I bet they were dreading when you got home! Well, I'm glad they learned form thier mistakes. I remember all too well fighting with my (3) sisters growing up. It's any wonder my mom's not in the nut house! Your writing is great by the way!

    ReplyDelete